Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Bell as the Orientalist?

I'm withholding my opinion until I finish reading all five chapters. However, I will comment on my observations so far.

Based on the writing in the first two chapters of the book, I'm not comfortable calling Bell an Orientalist, and yet I'm also not comfortable saying she wasn't. There are certainly elements of Orientalism in her writing. There may be a passing comment dropped in the most casual manner that makes me question her overall attitude toward the people she championed.

On the other hand, its hard to reconcile someone who so adored the desert and its tribal flavor with the sour impression I have of Orientalism. Bell's knowledge of the area and its citizens could arguably negate her sometimes condescening observations. After all, most people do have something negative to say about somebody. Perhaps her momentary lapses are prompted by an individual reaction and not meant as comprehensive statements encompassing all "Orientals". After all, in the next breath she can gush over how much she's genuinely enjoying herself.

Although, I have to admit I wonder if her love of the desert and the sense of adventure/discovery outweighs her love of the people. The bulk of her writing does seem to focus on the visual or textile images. She describes the landscape, the appearance of people, and, of course, the ruins she finds along her travels. While I love her descriptive talent - for it is a talent as impressive as her political intuition (in my opinion, of course) - her writing lacks the personable touch of writers like Montague or even Duff-Gordon. The only person she seems to give a personality to is her travelling companion, Namrud, and that's only expressed through the stories he tells her. She never offers much in terms of what she thinks of him personally.

Her writing gives insights to her passion for the desert and her knowledge of the tribes. Although I may change my mind, I don't think her passion extends quite as much to the people as it does to the land on which they live. But I reserve the right to change my mind on this.

No comments: