Monday, October 8, 2007

More on Said's Orientalism

The preface of the 25th anniversary edition made for some interesting reading. I got the distinct impression Said is more than a little disgusted with our current involvement in Iraq. He certainly doesn't try to soften his opinion about American foreign policies as they apply to the Middle East (aka "The Orient").

I am actually looking forward to discussion on the topic of Orientalism tonight. Although I've read both the preface and the first chapter, I must admit I'm still trying to sort through everything Said had to say on the matter. I almost need to re-read the first chapter just in order to clarify.

I'll probably update this post later tonight. We'll see.

Updated (8:48 PM)

I think I've got a better grasp on Orientalism. I also think the old definition, the one Said created in the 1970s, is no longer 100% applicable. That or I'm still confused. Here are some of my observations/impressions:
  • I don't see the men depicted as effeminate. This is a stereotype I can not easily identify in the travel writings we have read so far this semester. Although, while I don't see it, I suppose the few sentences here and there about homosexual practices could arguably emasculate the Oriental man.
  • The image of Oriental women as exotic nymphs has been mostly replaced with the image of a suppressed gender-group who are at the mercy of their tyrannical menfolk.
  • The emerging stereotype of Muslim men over the last few years has shifted to that of a religous zealot, a terrorist bent on destroying "The West".

I think perhaps the real definition of Orientalism can be found in the Us vs. Them argument. This psychological conditioning can be perpetrated by the media, the government, and our schools.

I think I'll leave it at that for now. Night!

1 comment:

Mary Jo Kietzman said...

I agree with your comments about the way Said's oriental stereotype doesn't quite fit today, but I also think you are right to say that a version is still relevant. The reason that you haven't noticed travel-writers depicting effeminate men is that we haven't read much eighteenth- and nineteenth-century British travel-writing which is where you would see it. Actually Gertrude Bell has a comment that "the oriental" is like an old "child." That isn't quite effeminizing, but slightly. Also, Duff-Gordon has a letter in which she talks about the lack of useful work. The people sit around a lot and smoke the nargeelah but don't seem particularly bored. This, too, is a version of the effeminized male without the purpose-driven life that is so valued in the West.