Monday, November 12, 2007

The Prince of The Marshes

I'm so much better with the older travel writings. I find them more interesting than our more modern readings. This doesn't surprise me. I often find it very difficult to get into current events, whereas history fascinates me. This makes reading books like 9 Parts Desire and The Prince of the Marshes more work than pleasure.

I really can't blame the authors, though. I think is more about me than about them. Their writing styles and voices are easier to absorb than those of earlier generations. Their topics are relevant to the world I live in. No, the fault is entirely my own.

That being said, I have tried to read more of Rory Stewart's book than we've been assigned. I wanted to read it all, straight through, because I figure this might give me a more solid foundation upon which I can base my opinions of what's going on over in Iraq. I've made it more than halfway through the book. I've learned a lot. However, I'm going to have to skip ahead and read the assigned reading today if I want to partcipate in class tonight.

I'd like to say I'm going to go back and read the whole book, but we'll see.

No comments: