Monday, November 26, 2007

Snow - to page 237

Guess having a long weekend helped. I actually managed to get caught up in both classes. Go me!


The book is picking up speed. While I'm enjoying it, I have to remind myself it's not a romance novel. I'm going to blame this romance mind-set on my current WIP (I'm 87K words into the novel now and obsessing about getting the hero and heroine back together). I have to remind myself that even though Ka's main goal - in his mind - is all about the woman, the story is really about something completely different.

So some random thoughts/observations so far:

1) The Revolution didn't come as a surprise - the political tension pretty much took a front seat in this book in Chapter One. What did come as a surprise was the location of the first revolutionary act. I figured something would happen at the theatre, just not that the actors on the stage had such a big role to play.

2) Another surprise was Blue and Kadife. I'm not sure I like the interpersonal exchanges between them. It feels...forced...faked...misleading. It probably isn't, but right now they just seem like a very odd couple despite their similiarities.

3) Although I'm beginning to worry a bit less about Ka's survival, I'm still not convinced he's going to come away unscathed. Probably the suspicious reader in me having issues with the narrator is the source of this unease..

4) The poetry. I talked a bit about this in class, but I really do feel like he's channelling the opinions of those he associates with during the course of the book. This is not to say his creativity is in question or his passion suspect, but I find it interesting how the voice of the common people ends up incorporated into each poem, sometimes word for word.

No comments: