Monday, September 10, 2007

Questions Answered and Insight Given

So, remember my earlier questions about possible copyright infringements and, even more importantly, the effect of the selective editor? Yeah. Those were actually addressed in class without me bringing them up.

Although my earlier copyright infringement question was about the editor's determination to publish against the traveller's will, I guess there was more of an issue with improper "borrowing" and lack of citation going on here. I guess much of what Biddulph put into his writings couldn't be considered "common knowledge" and had actually been borrowed from other sources. Interesting little side note, I thought.

The real kicker is the suspicion that there was no mysterious third party publishing these writings against Biddulph's will, but that Biddulph himself was putting forth his writings. I find that particularly amusing. The more I learn about this guy the less I think of him. Not that he had very far to fall. His attitude and prejudices got under my skin almost immediately. Maybe that's because I don't like to be preached at and his writing felt very preachy.

I thought his later indiscretions with the "strumpet" were a fitting ending to his tale. The hypocrite.

But enough about Biddulph. I really think I would enjoy reading the rest of Dallum's diary. Oh, it might drive me batty to have to wade through the 16th century prose, but the content would be well worth it I think.

Although, in all honesty, for my own selfish purposes I think I could even find value in writings like those of Biddulph. It's like looking into someone's head, seeing their inner most thoughts and values displayed for your voyeuristic pleasure. As a wannabe writer I find all of this fodder for the imagination. Imagine what a character Biddulph would make in fiction. Oh, the conflict that man could cause! Dallum, on the other hand, would make a likable side-kick (I'm not sure he's hero material..but one never knows until one tries to make a hero of a mere man).

I also find the foreign settings to be of great interest, especially since I tend to write Science Fiction and Fantasy. I'm already filing some customs away for later review. Of course, if I hope to remember them, I really should put them into my OneNote writing notebook. (I love OneNote. It's amazing. I really don't know why more writers don't take full advantage of it...)

I guess that's really all I have for tonight. The last thing that comes to mind is to say "Thanks!" to the other students who have opted for blogging their journals. So far I only have one web address and I've put it in my sidebar.

No comments: