Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Said's Theory on Orientalism & the Writings of Thomas Dallam

First, I had to refresh myself on what exactly was Said's theory on Orientalism. If I understand it correctly, Said's theory is that Western writers have misrepresented the Middle East and created a romanticized idea of "the Orient", which completely dismisses the variety of lifestyles, customs and beliefs found throughout this vast territory.

At first I must admit I'm wasn't sure how a theory about scholarly work could be applied to travel writing, especially if you consider the writings to be autobiographical in nature and not scholarly. However, after a little reflection, I could see his point to a certain extent. If I think of writer's like Biddulph, I can see how his prejudices would support Said's theory.

However, there are other instances where I would completely disagree. Consider Thomas Dallam. His writing did not portray a backward, wicked society. He did not set out to belittle the Sultan or the other Muslims. His diary excerpts were very accepting of the culture he found hismelf in. His portrayal of the Muslims he came into contact with are very flattering, actually. He made sure to mention that he was treated with courtsey and kindness at every turn.

Of course, Dallam wasn't in the Sultan's court pursuing religious ends or enduring the hardships of slavery. He was treated to a very privledged view of the Ottoman Empire. He was, in fact, an honored guest. Although he lacked any formal title or diplomatic immunity, he had been sent with a miraculous gift for the Sultan from Queen Elizabeth.

Not to mention he was also a much sought after commodity: a skilled trademan.

I would have to argue that Said's Orientalism may hold some kernal of truth in it, but it is not a hard and fast rule you can blindly apply to every Western writer discussing the Middle East. I think its a dangerous generalization that could be inappropriately applied.

2 comments:

Mary Jo Kietzman said...

Krista,

I think you are completely right about this. Said's theory has been called a dangerous generalization by many although when applied to 18th-century texts about the so-called "Orient" it definitely has some validity but not across the board.
We will be talking about Said in greater detail in a couple of weeks.

Krista Heiser said...

I see you remembered your password! Yay!